- AG: Annual gathering - yearly American Mensa "convention". A wonderful mix of interesting speakers, old friends, new friends, food, tours around the host city. A very large RG.
- AMC: American Mensa Committee - the national board of directors.
- AML: American Mensa Ltd. The official name of the American branch of Mensa.
- ASIE: Actions Still In Effect. Decisions rendered by the AMC or local ExComm that will affect future administrations and member issues.
- Bright Ideas: Quarterly publication dealing with gifted children's issues and information that is sent to editors, LocSecs and gifted children's coordinators.
- Calendar Coordinator: Local volunteer responsible for gathering information about monthly local events and preparing the calendar of events for the PHOENIX.
- Chairman: The highest elected official in American Mensa who presides over AMC meetings.
- ExComm: Executive Committee - governing body of the local group comprised of local volunteers (elected or appointed).
- FM: Female Mensan
- FSM: Monthly event to assemble the PHOENIX (fold, staple, mail)
- GC: Gifted Children. One of the major programs supported by American Mensa
- IBD: International Board of Directors - comprised of elected representatives from many countries.
- Interloc: Monthly publication for communication between the national SIGs, AMC and local officers. It is automatically sent to local and national officers and may be requested by any member at no charge.
- Isolated M: A popular monthly publication initiated for members who are isolated geographically from a local group.
- Kitty: Ante up to help defray the host's/hostess' costs to provide you with food and libation.
- L.O.T.S.: Local Officers' Training Seminars - Regional weekend conference to share information and enhance leadership skills of Mensans interested in roles as officers in their local groups.
- M: Any Mensan - plural is Ms.
- MM: Male Mensan.
- Mensa Boutique: Run by the national office, offering a selection of clothing, jewelry, books and other items of interest to Mensa members.
- Mensa Bulletin: National Mensa newsletter that is published 10 times per year and includes the International Mensa Journal.
- Mensaphone: Local telephone that provides information to prospective members about the organization, information about meetings to current members, etc. Western Pennsylvania Mensa's is (412)682-5565
- MERF: Mensa Education and Research Foundation. Philanthropic non-profit, tax-exempt organization that provides scholarships (60) and encourages research into the nature, characteristics and uses of intelligence.
- Mensa World: Quarterly publication of International Mensa that promotes communication between groups worldwide.
- NO: National Office (also referred to by some as as Central Intelligence disseminates information to the local groups as well as
- NomCom: Nomination Committee. On the national level recommends at least one and usually two qualified and willing candidates for each elective office for the national election.
- Ombudsman: Local member available to help mediate conflicts should they arise between members or between members and the Excomm. There is also a National Ombudsman.
- RG: Regional Gathering - weekend meeting sponsored by and occurring in a specific region, but not limited to the local members. The theme of most RGs is "Y'all come!" There are talks, performances, games, food, and non-stop conversation and fun. RGs were originally planned as an alternative for members who were not able to attend the yearly AG.
- RVC: Regional Vice Chairman - one of nine regional representatives who is a member of the AMC. YOUR GROUP is a part of Region 3, Great Lakes and Ohio Valley.
- SIG: Special Interest Group - National or local groups of people with common interests, often including a newsletter for communication of ideas and information on a particular topic.
- S.I.G.H.T.: Service of Information, Guidance and Hospitality to Travelers - local member who coordinate inquiries of Ms traveling in our area. There are national and international S.I.G.H.T. coordinators.
- Teller: Person responsible for tallying ballots and publishing election notices and referendums and supervising elections.
- YM: Young Mensan